Subject: RE: PMRM Draft - next steps

Michael, my comments inline below – thanks for turning this round so quickly, I’m happy to do the awkward Word editing now…

Cheers,

Peter

From: Michael Willett [mailto:mwillett@nc.rr.com]
Sent: 09 March 2012 11:41
To: Peter F Brown; 'Dawn Jutla'; 'Sabo, John T'; 'Gershon Janssen'

My inputs: I am including these in a separate note so that you can quickly say YES/NO; the next pen holder (Peter?)

can insert these changes. Of course, I can do that, too… you know my reputation as a brutal editor??

   - ACCEPT the deletes related to PII in several places; in fact, accept all word/phrase inserts/deletes

[Peter:]  OK

   -  “boundary object,” a sociological construct that supports productive interaction and collaboration among multiple communities.

       Just delete the word “sociological”. No need to be historically precise; ‘boundary object’ is not a core PMRM concept, but a good analogy.

[Peter:] OK

   - Peter’s mods on Figure 1. Plus, I do not think the UML look is a problem; just clear/clean.

[Peter:] OK, I’ll continue using the current diagramming – maybe an explanatory para would help, walking readers through the figure(such as explaining the “Concerns” box…) and underlining that the diagram is not a formal model. It does beg the question however: if this isn’t the PMRM model, what is? And how is it represented/encapsulated? Suitable point for discussion on Monday I think…

   - Accept Task 8 insert; reads OK to me. Add a short sub-bullet in box 2 in Figure 2.

      But, change the wording of the Example to match the flowing example (EV etc).

[Peter:] Agree – who can take a crack at that?

   - Task 13 example? None?

[Peter:] I think we need one, as I mentioned on the call: the idea of internally-generated might not be commonly understood…

   - inset new task between 16 and 17:

        Task 17: Conduct Risk Assessment

[Peter:] OK – but we do need an example, IMO…

   - NO example needed for the original 16 or 17. Delete Example box.

[Peter:] Agree for original 17, but for 16, I think we need some text to clarify Goal and Context – and probably an example: this could be the lynchpin Task of the whole methodology…. I think te example text you provide at the end of the message is a good basis…

   -  Task15: Identify the Services that conform to and satisfy implement the identified privacy controls.

       I would like to use the word ‘implement’ above; shows we have passed over into the operational phase, even at a high level.

       Delete the “conform to and satisfy”.

[Peter:] Hmmm, not sure – sometimes privacy controls are expressed in less-than formal language and more like policy directives or needs – in applying and using the appropriate PMRM service(s) there will sometimes still need to be someone/thing assessing/checking certifying even, that the service truly does conform – I don’t think enough privacy controls are directly implementable, they are in the ‘ecosystem’ space rather than the system space (to use some SOA RAF language).

       Example (based on the previous Tasks/Examples):

 Example (input/output from Task 11)

Internally Generated PI:

         Current EV location logged by EV On-Board system

Outgoing PI:

         Current EV location transmitted to Utility Load Scheduler System

Conversion to operational Services:

Log EV Location -

                           If Location is previously rejected, then

                                    Enforcement: notify the Owner and/or the Utility

         Interaction: Communication of EV Location to EV On-Board System

         Usage: EV On-Board System records EV Location in secure storage, together with agreements

EV Location transmitted to Utility Load Scheduler System (ULSS) –

         Interaction: Communication established between EV Location and ULSS

         Security: authenticate the ULSS site; secure the transmission

         Certification: ULSS checks the credentials of the EV On-Board System

         Usage: ULSS records the EV Location, together with agreements

[Peter:] Good, thanks

-  Task 16: Identify the Functions that satisfy the selected Services

Example (see Example in Task 15)

Usage: EV On-Board System records EV Location in secure storage, together with agreements

                Function: Encrypt the EV Location and Agreements, store in on-board solid-state drive

EV Location transmitted to Utility Load Scheduler System (ULSS) –

         Interaction: Communication established between EV Location and ULSS

         Security: authenticate the ULSS site; secure the transmission

                  Function: Establish a TLS/SSL communication between EV Location and ULSS,

                                  which includes mechanisms for authentication of the source/destination

[Peter:] Good – we do need to explicitly map these to the specific PMRM services as described and named, so that readers can follow…

Michael