Subject: Re: V2 work item proposals

David,

The web service abstraction proposal will not enable browser based
browsing like UDDI. However it will make it easier for clients to access
the registry by offering more access choices (ebXML Messaging Service,
SOAP). It will also make it easier for new bindings to be added (e.g.
IIOP).

In fact even in UDDI the various registries are accessed via custom web
browser based interfaces that are clients of a UDDI registry. There is
nothing that prevents an ebXML registry to have a web interface even
today. In fact the world's first public ebXML Registry by KTNET in Korea
has a web based interface similar to the 2 public UDDI registries. It is
however in Korean.

So whether we are talking about UDDI or ebXML registries, in either case
the browser may be implemented as a thin web client or a thick
Java/C++/VB etc. client.

"Welsh, David" wrote:

>  Sorry to jump in, but on the "abstraction to a web service"
> proposal. Would / could that mean we could expect to use a 'browser',
> like folks can do with UDDI browsing ? Thanks-Dave

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;work:781-442-0703
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems;Java Software
adr:;;1 Network Dr. MS BUR02-302;Burlington;MA;01803-0902;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:najmi@east.sun.com
fn:Farrukh Najmi
end:vcard