saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] SAML Usage Statistics? ROI defined in Govt Solution Architecture Reference Models

Hal, Scott,

I am enthralled to see a discussion about security and interoperability
ROI.  There is an effort afoot in the federal market to put a value on
these two elements using the Federal Enterprise Architecture Reference
Models, and capturing this data via a collaborative vetting lab called
SAIL (Solution Architecture Integration Lab).

Homeland Security is setting up a pilot program to see if industry and
help instantiate a set of Service Oriented Architecture reference models
based on industry implementation experiences.  The idea is capture and
value the value of open security and infrastructure technologies in a
business context.  As government must remain neutral concerning
competing standards and technologies, they are looking to establish a
conflict free zone where solution providers can articulate the value of
their offerings in collaborative vetting environment.

ICHnet.org is coordinating this initiative with a number of large
integrators and a few platform vendors who agree to bring into view the
successes of their customers and partners as evidence sources.   The ROI
data will be derived from a Performance Reference Model that attempts to
put a value of these past efforts.  The end result will be a set of
re-useable solution frameworks that include critical decision data about
usability, interoperability and securability.   The manufacturing and
telecom industry have had similar efforts in place for years.

It is estimated that nearly 70% of all major IT programs in the govt
fail at a cost of $21.3 billion/year due largely to the inability to
align common business needs with available technical solutions.  Our
hope is to provide a context by which decisions can be made based on
verifiable ROI data.

This effort is starting up in July, and welcome the SAML folks to join
this pilot and help us refine this assessment framework.  Call me if
there is interest.

John Weiler
CTO
ICH Architecture Resource Center