ubl-hisc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-hisc] HISC Teleconference 2005-03-01/02

Attached is a slightly more updated version. This is about as far as it
goes without connecting the other thread; writing the XSLT/Python or
whatever to start generating the spec for each UBL document type.

Thanks, -m

--
  Available for consulting. XForms, web forms, information overload.
  Micah Dubinko                           mailto:micah@dubinko.info

-- Input Formatting Specifications for UBL document types

    Feedback: to ubl-hisc@lists.oasis-open.org

    Abstract: Everything a form author needs to know to become productive with
    UBL.

-- Glossary
-----------

  The following terms are used in this document.

  SBS -

  W3C -

  XForms -

-- Introduction
---------------

  Forms and XML have much in common--in both cases the technology represents a
  structured exchange of data, as opposed to a "blank page" philosophy of
  interaction. UBL in particular is an application of XML used to represent
  strutured business documents. Some work has been done as modeling this with
  contract semantics, as in
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/legalxml-econtracts/200403/msg00004.html

  Within each document type, UBL defines a large number of XML elements and
  attributes; generally more than any single document will use. For this reason
  part of the job of writing forms against UBL is choosing the proper subset to
  map to form controls. One subset that is gaining traction is the "Small
  Business Subset" (once known as UBL Lite).

-- Input Formatting Specifications
----------------------------------

  This collection contains examples of formatting specifications that can be
  followed to create instances of Universal Business Language (UBL) document
  types as XML. Presentational semantics have not been formalized in this
  version of the UBL schema library, and they may never be formalized due to
  differing international requirements and conventions for the presentation of
  information found in business documents.

  These specifications must not be considered as reference implementations of
  UBL or as normative components of the UBL specification; they are merely
  examples from one of what will probably be many available UBL form libraries
  and transformation products and technologies.

  These specifications follow a guiding principle of UBL under Tool Use and
  Support: "The design of UBL will not make any assumptions about sophisticated
  tools for creation, management, storage, or presentation being available. The
  lowest common denominator for tools is incredibly low (for example, Notepad)
  and the variety of tools used is staggering. We do not see this situation
  changing in the near term."

-- Documentation Conventions
----------------------------

  For each data item in the Small Business Subset, these input specifications
  will list the following pieces of information:

  * The "data collection intent" for this item, without giving specific guidance
  (like "this is a radio button"). Technology-neutral terminology is taken from
  the W3C XForms specification.

  * The data storage location within the UBL XML, specified as XPath.

  * Whether the data item may store a computed value, and if so, the sources and
  expression (again in XPath) used.

  Additionally, for the overall form, the following information will be listed:

  * Overall navigation order, specified as a single bidirectional
  thread.

  For output formatting specifications, you might want to compare notes with
  http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/cd-UBL-1.0/fs/

-- Production Notes
-------------------

  This document originated as a plain-text Unicode file, using minimal
  structure. From there, it gets transformed into XML, XHTML, and other formats.
  The XPath details of elements in the SBS were extracted from XML files
  provided in that package.

  [ Each UBL document type will have a separate document, which will have the
  following sections: ]

-- Form-Level Considerations
----------------------------

  TODO:
    Navigation order, as a list,

-- Data item-level Considerations

  Reference: XPath for each data item:
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-hisc/200501/msg00009.html

  TODO:
    For each data item:
      * list XPath, data collection intent, and anything else

-- Eventually, a link to a concrete XForms implementation

  TODO: