ubl-hisc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-hisc] HISC Teleconference 2005-03-29/30

At 2005-03-29 14:52 +0200, stephen_green@seventhproject.co.uk wrote:
>"G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com> wrote on 29.03.2005,
>03:14:51:
> > I'd like to talk about XPath files and specifications ... I'll try to post
> > some revised files tomorrow morning.
> >

>Could I note four things about the SBSC needs for the XPath files
>1. The files will all need to comply with the OASIS rule and
>    UBL NDR rule that the encoding be stated as 'UTF-8'

Fine ... I'm not sure how long it will take to ensure this, but I'll take
some short cuts for today.

>2. For the SBS we need a set of files which are in XML but
>    actually list the XPaths

I asked earlier about why this was necessary and in the flurry of messages
I don't think my question was answered.

To create such a file we will have to come up with yet another vocabulary
and decide where to keep the supplemental information.  An XML file of
strings doesn't seem very useful to me, as it would be very difficult to
pull apart the strings and use them.  When you want strings, use the text
or HTML files.

By directing people who want an XML version of the XPaths to use the -XPath
files, then they can synthesize strings if they want strings, or get
components of the strings if they want components.

Can you mock up an example of what you would want to see in an alternative
XML expression of the XPath files, and indicate how such an expression
would have value-add over the raw information we already have?

If the concern is "one doesn't know how to create a list of strings from
the XML XPath files", then I'll write a stylesheet that gives an example
that people can then modify for their own use.  Including that stylesheet
fragment will then equip people to do things without having to start from
scratch.

I just don't (yet) see the utility of an XML file of the strings, but I'm
willing to be convinced.

>3. The above will be the normative cd files so I'd need to edit them
>    e.g. adding OASIS copyright, removing non-essential annotation,
>    etc

If this is information for all renditions, then write up what you want in a
text file and I'll add that to all of the renditions automatically so they
don't have to be edited by hand.  I think it is important that we don't
have any human intervention in the files so we can recreate them as we need.

I've added comments to the text file by prefixing lines with "# ".

I've added the resource id as a title to the HTML files.  I can add the
normative information as comments in the HTML file and in the XML files.

>4. Could we have a set of files like those Ken generates as
>    the XPath precursors (i.e. called ..-XPaths because XPaths
>    are generated from them) but with a change of use in that
>    they would contain the XPaths as the text and html files do
>    but also have the uri's Ken is kindly adding, etc? Perhaps
>    this will be confusing though if they are called the same as
>    those Ken produces now and calls ..-XPaths (unless they are
>    substituted for the latter or have new names and thier own
>    separate namespaces).

I'm not sure I understand what is being asked for ... I'll include the
resource identifiers in both the text and HTML files.

I'll post the new files shortly.

Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc