Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] Minutes for 12 December 2001 UBL NDR meeting: TAG STRUCTURE

1. Roll call

    Bill Burcham       YES
    Doug Bunting
    Dave Carlson
    Mavis Cournane
    Mark Crawford      YES
    John Dumay         YES
    Matt Gertner
    Jack Gager
    Arofan Gregory     YES
    Eduardo Gutentag   YES
    Eve Maler          YES
    Dale McKay         YES (x:29)
    Sue Probert
    Gunther Stuhec     YES
    Mike Rawlins       YES (x:45)
    Marion Royal       yes (non-voting)
    Ron Schuldt        yes (non-voting)

    Quorum of 8 not reached as of x:06.  We proceeded informally until
    x:29.

2. Acceptance of minutes of previous meeting:
    5 December 2001 meeting:
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/200112/msg00012.html
    Accepted.

3. Adoption of agenda
    Adopted.

4. Action item review

    NOTE: There are other outstanding action items that we didn't need to
    focus on in today's session.

    ACTION: Arofan/Sue/Lisa to provide the xCBL naming guidelines (and
    all the other xCBL guidelines!).
    To be sent today (it's rough).

    ACTION: Mark to update naming position paper with our suggestions
    (including email suggestions).
    Has a dependency on Arofan providing examples and UDEF information.
    Continued.

    ACTION: Dale and Sue to work up tag structure examples and examine
    them in light of the two "PatientParty" circumstances listed in
    the November 28 minutes.  Other interested parties are Mark, Arofan,
    Eduardo.
    DONE (by Mark!).

5. Make decisions on tag structure:

    Current status:

    Mark matched up the Library Content SC work on OrderSummary with the
    proposed Option #1 from the tag structure position paper and with the
    current xCBL names:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/ndrsc/input/Tag%20Naming%20Example.doc

    Because xCBL uses SOX, which equates "types" with elements, it has
    deep nesting that would go away with the use of XSD.

    In Mark's sample instance, he did elide the object name in some cases
    (e.g., ExchangeRateReferenceIdentifier contains ReferenceDetails, not
    ExchangeRateReferenceIdentifierDetails, and ReferenceDetails contains
    ReferenceNumber and ReferenceDate).  This allows ReferenceDetails
    to be potentially reusable.  If ReferenceNumber and ReferenceDate
    were just called Number and Date, Mark feels that they become
    ambiguous and so they need the "Reference" prefix.  However, there
    is a principle behind the choice to elide other prefixes that he
    feels the Library Content SC can apply as they go about their BIE
    work.

    Eduardo noted that ambiguity can be resolved by looking at the
    ancestry of an element as well as by looking at its name.

    Some of the tradeoffs:
    - Do we want the most elegant way to create instance documents?
    - How much do we care about verbosity?
    - Do we want a standard vocabulary that eliminates semantic ambiguity?

    Ron Schuldt introduced himself.  He's with Lockheed Martin's IT
    organization.  He has worked with the CommerceOne people in mapping
    xCBL to the aerospace industry's EDI implementations.  He's the co-chair
    of an industry group that is trying to figure out the metadata that
    spans/overlaps technical document structures.

    In the CALS work, the Universal Data Element Framework was developed
    in the late 80's-early 90's.  ISO 11179 was ultimately adopted by UDEF.
    A DoD specification developed "property words" that ultimately got
    adopted, approximately, as ebXML's "representation terms", with some
    becoming quantities.

    Ron presented UDEF to the people developing MIL-STD-2549, and they
    adopted UDEF in the mid-90's.  At XML 1999, Ron proposed that UDEF
    be adopted by ebXML.

    UDEF has objects and properties.  The last word is always the property
    (ebXML representation term).  The objects are things like "Enterprise".
    Many of these map nicely to the ebXML context drivers.  There is a
    documented procedure for applying the UDEF rules.

    Sometimes you have to have two object words in the name, perhaps
    because with XML you have complex aggregate structures containing
    other similar structures.  Only leaf nodes have UDEF UIDs (universal
    identifiers).  UDEF appears to be more verbose than our Option #1.

    The specific proposal being made by Ron is to use UDEF UIDs to
    identify UBL leaf nodes.  He doesn't really think it's necessary for
    UBL to adopt the very long UDEF names as element names, though putting
    the modifiers before the property words would make the names a bit
    more natural.

    Mark noted that we need to consider the structured UDEF UID issue
    separately.  He was concerned about using a *structured* ID, which
    has not been adopted by ebXML.  (The registry information model
    spec does address this issue; it says that IDs can't have any
    semantics baked into them, while a structured ID does have this,
    and it has to be possible for the registry to generate a random
    new number.)

    Mark expressed concerns that adopting UDEF at all would make us
    incompatible with UN/CEFACT.  However, Arofan noted that it's possible
    to have multiple IDs.  Eve pointed out that it's easier to attach
    IDs (single or multiple) to leaf elements than to attributes.

    Ron described the benefit of structured IDs as being the ability to
    keep all the legacy systems and naming conventions as they currently
    are, while mapping to a "hub" system of intelligent identifiers.

    Outstanding issues:

    - Do we use highly structured names (option 1) or slightly structured
      names (option 2)?

    - Do we use fully qualified structured names (option 1a) or abbreviated
      structured names (option 1b)?  How much abbreviation do we want
      to allow?

    - Do we use ebXML/11179-style names (option 1E) or UDEF-style names
      (option 1U)?

    - Do we add attributes to UBL elements that link them to the UDEF
      structured UIDs?

    ACTION: Everybody to discuss this on the list!

    ACTION: Everybody to review the latest NDR document!

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/ndrsc/drafts/draft-ublndrsc-designrules-04.doc

6. Adjourn
    Adjourned at y:06.