ubl-security message

Subject: Re: Sample instances

At 2010-08-14 08:38 +0200, Oriol Bausą Peris wrote:
>I am sorry, I forgot to attach the files in my
>last mail. Here come both samples. They of
>course do not include all the new ideas and identifiers proposed by Ken.

But it does lead me to a question:  how did you
accomplish the embedding of the extension
elements in any form at all?  I see the correct
use of <ext:*> elements and the embedding of the
<odsig:document-signatures> element, even though
that element is missing the version attribute
required by the schema but inadvertently missed in the Security SC document.

So this leads me to believe that you were able to
somehow add those scaffolding elements yourself
and then trigger the signature software to embed
the actual <ds:Signature> element.  Is this
true?  Are we, then, safe to continue with our
own wrapper specification and not be obliged to
use an existing ODF or OCF wrapper?  If so, this is good news.

My revelation was that even if we *did* try to
save effort by adopting a standardized wrapper
such as ODF or OCF, a UBL instance cannot use
that wrapper without embedding the extension
scaffolding we require to allow the schemas to
still validate an instance.  So this scaffolding
means we can never use any off-the-shelf
signature software unless it gives us the
flexibility to specify the wrapper for the
wrapper, so we might as well have our own wrapper
and put in the features we need.

Can you share with us, Oriol, the effort it took
to configure your software to include the
extension schema scaffolding in the instance?

>As we were talking about when defining the spec,
>you'll see that there is no signature aggregate,
>as adding this ABIE makes the signature process very complex.
>
>Regarding the CoO, I think we should clarify the
>use and scope of the signatures that are
>enveloped inside this document, maybe adding
>some special paragraph in the recommendation.
>And regarding the UBL ABIE Signature, my
>recommendation is not using it as it is
>unnecessary, can create inconsistencies with the
>actual signature, and generates some problems when signing the xml instance.

As Tim pointed out it could be used for alternate
methods of specifying a signature, like referencing a PDF file.

So I think the security committee can *recommend*
the use of cac:Signature in conjunction with
sig:Signatures and ds:Signature, but not require
it.  That way it provides additional information
if available, but the UBL document is still
digitally signed even if <cac:Signature> is not
present, and the schemas stay as they are in PRD1
so that the scaffolding for <ds:Signature> is standardized.

So based what I hope your answer will be, Oriol,
the schemas might finally be complete.  We
standardize the scaffolding for <ds:Signature> in
the extension schema fragments of UBL's namespace
(not OCF nor ODF).  And the Security SC revises
their document regarding the recommended
association between a <cac:Signature> element and
the extension, not making it a requirement.  A
community of users can then, seeing the
recommendation, choose to adopt the
recommendation as a requirement.  But whether a
sender of a UBL document adopts that
recommendation or not, all recipients of the
document will still be able to verify the digital
signature in <ds:Signature> with or without the
supplemental documentation in <cac:Signature>.

Unless anyone objects, then, I'll proceed with
the SGTG schema production for PRD1.

Thank you for taking from your time to look at
this on the weekend!  I hope to have something
published by the end of today (my time).

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01
Vote for your XML training:   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/i/