ubl-security message

Subject: Re: [integration] Re: [ubl-security] UBL-XAdES-Profile 1.0-RC1

I agree with Roberto in the different situations, and I think we need to cover D1/S1 for UBL documents. Workflow can be done by any other means, There could be a problem trying to identify what to sign and so on in the CoO.

Regards, Oriol

El 14/08/2010, a las 11:34, Roberto Cisternino escribió:

> [...]
>>
>> This is a requirement, and it seems to me very common not only for the
>> CoO.
>> The are environments where the approval cycle is really important.
>>
>> Also an electronic document like the CoO adds an additional issue as we
>> cannot be sure the endorser name and its signature will be predefined
>> before or during the endorsement/approval cycle.
>>
>> I think we have two main kind of documents:
>>
>> D.1) Write-once Electronic Document (issued once)
>>
>> D.2) Live Electronic Document (integrated, enhanced during its life-cycle
>> like in FreightWise)
>>
>> and two main kind of document signatures:
>>
>> S.1) Signature for integrity and origin (applied to the document)
>>
>> S.2) Signature for approval and/or endorsement
>>      This signature has a different role in the document and it seems to
>> me that could be just applied to the unique identifier/date of the
>> Document and not the whole document.
>>
>> S.2 could solve the complexity of adding new endorsements along with the
>> other information abount the endorser and even during the life-cycle of
>> the document (D.2).
>>
>> The signing difference between the Invoice and the CertificateOfOrigin
>> are:
>>
>> - the Invoice is following the D.1/S.1 case
>>
>> - the CoO is more complex as we have different contexts where the
>> signature is applied and different roles for the signatures:
>
>   a) Issuer Endorsement
>   b) Embassy Endorsement
>   c) Insurance Endorsement
>
>   Here the (a) is a signature for the issuer and probaly this signature
> should be following the D.1/S.1 case to provide integrity and origin.
>
>   (b) and (c) are just additional endorsements and these are applied
> surely in a different time, location and by different parties
> (D.2./S.2)
>

> Finally I think we still have to provide a valid answer to these business
> cases.
>

>>> The main problem we are addressing is that when trying to us
>>> cac:Signature
>>> we need to create them jointly with the stamping of the digital
>>> signature
>>> in the extension. This makes the signature and verification process very
>>> complex.
>>>
>>> When facing the problem of really signing a UBL document we encountered
>>> that issue: We were not able to proceed to change the cac:Signature xml
>>> instance fragment and adding the signature easily. We were not able to
>>> use
>>> already existant software tools to place enveloped signatures due to the
>>> fact of this specific new functionality,
>>>
>>> Besides that, the existance of the UBL cac:Signature element does not
>>> add
>>> any value. It can only be a source of inconsistencies between the items
>>> stated in cac:Signature and the ones stated inside the digital
>>> signature.
>>> UBL already had the cac:Signature element, so we just kept it as
>>> for backwards compatibility. But the idea is not using it, as it is not