ubl-security message

Subject: Proposed change to the "signed information" transform expression

Hi all,

In my current proposal for the digital signature transform expression
of those nodes of a UBL instance that participate in the signature
hash calculation, I have this expression:

         count(ancestor-or-self::sig:SignatureGroup |
               here()/ancestor::sig:SignatureGroup[1]) >
         count(ancestor-or-self::sig:SignatureGroup)

... which excludes everything under the ancestral
<sig:SignatureGroup> element.  This makes sense when there is only a
single set of signatures.  In UBL there is a chance there will be
multiple signature groups (so far only for the Certificate Of Origin,
but who knows what document in the future might have multiple
signature groups?).

Something came to mind this evening when writing my response to Oriol
... we need to change the above to instead exclude everything outside
of <sig:SignatureInformation>:

         count(ancestor-or-self::sig:SignatureInformation |
               here()/ancestor::sig:SignatureInformation[1]) >
         count(ancestor-or-self::sig:SignatureInformation)

... in order to allow the *different* groups of signatures to have
their signatures added in a random order.  Since there is no business
information inside of the <sig:SignatureInformation> element, there
is nothing "unprotected" by making the proposed change above.

Also, if we don't make the change, we end up "signing other
signatures" which means that once this is done, the "other
signatures" cannot be augmented or the just completed signature is
invalid.  So this is really a critically important change.

This does not involve a schema change, but it does require an
instance change to one of the sample instances.  The documentation
would also have to change in section 5.3.

I can prepare a new ZIP for Jon at any time with this change, but I
would like someone from the Security SC to confirm my suspicions
above and endorse my proposed change (or tell me I'm mistaken!) as
soon as possible.

Thanks!  And thank you for your patience with me as I better
understand each day how this security stuff works ... I *think* I
have a real handle on it now and feel this proposal is an important
improvement.

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01
Vote for your XML training:   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/i/