ubl-security message

Subject: Where to go from here

Fellow Security SC members,

With so many concerns expressed regarding my proposal, I have no
problems stepping away from it and quickly implementing whatever the
SC decides for PRD1.  It seems over the days that all of the
participants, including myself, have only repeated their initial
stances and seem unswayed by the arguments of others.  And that is
fine ... we all have different perspectives that we are bringing to the table.

As I read this morning's messages, we have to decide between two
alternatives to what is in the SGTG package today, being between zero
scaffolding:

(A) Oriol/Roberto/Tim:
   <sig:SignatureInformation>
     <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
     <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
   </sig:SignatureInformation>

... and generic scaffolding (though because of modeling rules we
cannot use the proposed plural term and I'm trying to think of
another singular term):

(B) Andrea:
   <sig:SignatureInformation>
     <sig:Signature>
       <cbc:ID>...</cbc:ID> (optional)
       <sig:SignatureGroup>
         <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
         <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
       </sig:SignatureGroup>
     </sig:Signature>
     <sig:Signature>
       <cbc:ID>...</cbc:ID> (optional)
       <sig:SignatureGroup>
         <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
         <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
       </sig:SignatureGroup>
     </sig:Signature>
   </sig:SignatureInformation>

In my intermediate work I had the above structure but then distilled
out the signature group that did not have a <cbc:ID> child so that
one would not have *two* <sig:Signatures> with no <cbc:ID> child
(when you have two, do both apply to the semantic of not having an
ID?).  So, in my proposal I had prevented two signature groups from
having no identifier, using modeling to prevent the ambiguity:

(C) Ken:
   <sig:SignatureInformation>
     <sig:SignatureGroup>
       <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
       <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
     </sig:SignatureGroup>
     <sig:IdentifiedSignatureGroup>
       <cbc:ID>...</cbc:ID> (required)
       <sig:SignatureGroup>
         <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
         <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
       </sig:SignatureGroup>
     </sig:IdentifiedSignatureGroup>
     <sig:IdentifiedSignatureGroup>
       <cbc:ID>...</cbc:ID> (required)
       <sig:SignatureGroup>
         <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
         <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
       </sig:SignatureGroup>
     </sig:IdentifiedSignatureGroup>
   </sig:SignatureInformation>

This is also our committee's first standardized extension and people
will be trying to learn from what we do.

My assessment is that proposal (A) is inflexible in expressing any
associations between the UBL business objects and the signatures
(I've already shown in another email we cannot use the <ds:Signature>
identifier for such an association).  Communities of users might want
to infer associations between business objects and signature
information.  Future UBL documents might require associations between
business objects and signature information.

My assessment is that proposal (B) is potentially ambiguous and
burdens the user community with defining exception handling when
interpreting what it means to have two unidentified groups.  Or even
three or more ... is there a relationship implied by two of the three
if they are adjacent?

I accept that my proposal (C) is unacceptable to committee members
because of perceived complexity as that has been mentioned time and
time again.  But I believed all along it addresses the flexibility
for user communities and future UBL documents, and it is unambiguous
in preventing multiple unidentified groups, and it is an example of a
detailed extension that others can follow in creating their own
extensions.  If documenting the complexity is a challenge, I think
documenting the exception handling of ambiguity is a bigger challenge.

(C) is implemented and I have time this weekend to implement either
of the (A) or (B) proposals ... but which is it to be?  Someone
please decide and direct me.  I hereby withdraw from the decision making.

Sorry, that sounds like pouting and I'm not pouting at all ... I just
need to deliver something to Jon ASAP.  Please don't interpret my
comments as negative ... I really don't mind abandoning my proposal
since not a single member has supported it ... this is a
collaborative group and I accept my proposal doesn't fly ... happens
all the time and we are all professionals ... but I need to be told
what to do in order to give something to Jon, and I need a decision
as soon as possible, please.  (A) or (B).

Oh, regarding the scope of the signature, I feel we are obliged to
include non-signature extensions in the signature calculation since
other extensions will contain business information for some
communities of users.  We cannot exclude all extensions from the
signature hash.  So that would be that we must include all
information outside of the ancestral <sig:SignatureInformation>
element in both scenarios (A) and (B).

Thanks for the debate.  Please decide and we'll move on with user
testing.  We can change it all for PRD2 if you wish.

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01
Vote for your XML training:   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/i/