ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Pacific UBL TC call 19|20 June 2006

MINUTES OF PACIFIC UBL TC MEETING
00:30 - 02:30 UTC TUESDAY 20 JUNE 2006

ATTENDANCE

   Jon Bosak (chair)
   Tim McGrath (vice chair)
   Ken Holman
   Andy Schoka
   Sylvia Webb

STANDING ITEMS

   Additions to the calendar:
      http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm

      GKH: There may be changes to the scheduling of the SC34 WG
      meetings in Montreal; should know for sure in about a week.

   Liaison report: UN/CEFACT

      TM: Have sent the announcement of liaison appointments to
      the CEFACT Bureau.  The NES group has made a proposal to
      TBG1 to host a kickoff meeting at the end of July.  It's
      been made clear that NES is just a facilitator, not a party
      to negotiation.

   Team report: Code Lists

      GKH: Posted 0.6 last night.  Have all the genericode lists
      except Container Code.

      ACTION: GKH and TM to synthesize a "clean room" version of
      the Container Code list using the algorithm published by the
      Ship-planning Message Design Group (www.smdg.org).

   Subcommittee report: PSC

      SW: Met yesterday morning, reviewed frist draft of schema,
      now producing second draft; will produce the second set,
      then another draft after the NDR call Wednesday; plan to
      hold ad hoc meetings after each round of schema generation.

      JB: What is the issue with DENs?

         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-psc/200606/msg00025.html

      SW: We used to have NDRs for getting rid of duplicates, but
      MarkC thought there was no need for a rule, CCTS shd take
      care of it.  We disagree; the existing rules are not
      specific in terms of how to deal with duplicates.

      TM: There are actually two issues here: (1) how to deal with
      duplicates, and (2) how to deal with abbreviations (e.g.,
      shorten "Identifier" to "ID", or where we have "text", drop
      it).  These rules are not part of CCTS.  We used to have
      such rules, but they were dropped at some point.

      JB: Can we just use the old language?

      TM: Mike and Mavis would know the best way to deal with
      this.

      JB: Will put on the agenda for the Atlantic call.

   Subcommittee report: TSC

      TM: Kama has been occupied in talks with the government of
      Singapore, so we've been unable to hold a call the last two
      weeks and are falling back to email, but TSC is not on the
      critical path at the moment.

   Review of Atlantic call

      No comments.

   Schedule review
      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200602/msg00016.html

      ACTION: JB to deliver a first build Friday p.m. so that GKH
      can review in time to send to his class for testing on
      Monday.

MONTREAL TC MEETING

   JB: IDEAlliance has confirmed that rooms are available for our
   meeting.  Still talking about room rates and reservations.

MINOR VERSIONING PROPOSAL

   We informally discussed the proposal.

   GKH: Can we use the word "contextualization" for the creation
   of context-specific subsets?

   JB/TM: Would be confusing in light of the broader use of the
   term by ebXML, CEFACT, and early UBL.

   TM: But we do need something different from "subsetting";
   suggest we characterize the proposal as "an approach that can
   be used to solve any kind of customization, not just
   contextualization."

   AGREED that the word "customization" should be used to cover
   this.

   JB: BTW, the OED does not recognize the existence of "custom"
   as an adjective, so we will have to use "bespoke" (as GKH is
   doing) even though it doesn't mean exactly the same thing.

   [Further research has shown this to be mistaken; in fact, the
   OED does recognize "custom" as an adjective, "chiefly U.S.,"
   though it incorrectly equates it with "bespoke".]

ACTION ITEM REVIEW

   ACTION: NDR editors to look at the syntax of the QDT for
   ChannelCode and tell TM whether this is a legal restriction:

         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200606/msg00031.html

      TM: Update: DavidK has created one.

      SW: And I think it's accurate except possibly for attributes
      on individual code types, but we can go ahead and use it.

      TM: So the NDR editors should look at the GEFEG draft
      instead.

      SW: Posted yesterday, and there will be another in the next
      schema bundle.

   ACTION: PB to include the QDT spreadsheet in the WD3 package.

      Done.

   ACTION: TM to talk to PB about putting the change log into a
   form that will help indicate the differences between this
   review package and the last one.

      Pending.

   ACTION: TM to mail comment submitters with disposition of
   comments.

      Pending.

JULY MEETINGS

   JB: Will be traveling and unavailable to chair the TC meetings
   7/18 and 7/19.

   TM: Will chair the Pacific call 17|18 July.

   ACTION: JB to check with MC about possibly chairing the call
   7/19.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC