ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Proposed addition to 2.1 documented constraints - no schema location hints

I am pretty sure that systems where an URI resolver is used (even based on XML Catalogs) are able to resolve either namespaces and, at a certain level, file paths.

Common URI Resolvers like the one available from Normal Walsh (SUN) are going to solve most of these issues.

Anyway I noted that there could be systems that could erroneously promote the XSI "hint" to a "mandatory pointer", and this could
generate:
1) rejecting documents containing schemaLocations, or
2)  or rejecting documents in which the schemaLocation does not match the intended schema document.

Most common XML processors do not assign any precedence to XSI hints as the schema lookup mechanisms imposed by the parser application should take precedence (properties, resolvers, ...).

We could just mention in UBL that XSI where used is just a hint for the parser, or even we could suggest to provide just a relative path or just the schema filename.

We can't provide a full URI resolving guide but we should suggest that the UBL xsd and other validation resources should be discovered by checking the UBL version, customization and profile information, not only the namespace URI.

Into this case an XSI schemaLocation could be seen as a short-cut to discover the right Schemas (the name at least).

Of course into eBusiness partnerships there is usually an agreement for each document exchange, and a precise channel for I/O where any validation resource and mechanism can be predefined (and expected).

In some way I still think the "bad" XSI could provide some help on simple implementations, but it is my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Ciao

---