Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Re: [virtio-comment] Re: [virtio-dev] Re: [Proposal] Relationship between XDP and rx-csum in virtio-net

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 02:07:14AM -0400, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 09:51:44PM +0800, Heng Qi wrote:

> > > Makes no sense to me. VIRTIO_NET_F_GUEST_CSUM set already allows
> > > VIRTIO_NET_HDR_F_DATA_VALID:
> >
> > We need to focus on what happens when the XDP program is loaded:
> >
> > The current virtio-net needs to turn off the VIRTIO_NET_F_GUEST_CSUM
> > feature when loading XDP. The main reason for doing this is because
> > VIRTIO_NET_F_GUEST_CSUM allows to receive packets marked as
> > VIRTIO_NET_HDR_F_NEEDS_CSUM. Such packets are not compatible with
> > XDP programs, because we cannot guarantee that the csum_{start, offset}
> > fields are correct after XDP modifies the packets.
>
> What do you want the device to do with these packets?
> Just clear VIRTIO_NET_HDR_F_NEEDS_CSUM?
> Then ... why don't you have the driver clear that bit?

Just clearing VIRTIO_NET_HDR_F_NEEDS_CSUM will cause the stack to drop
packets when validating the checksum.

From [1] we know that after negotiating VIRTIO_NET_F_GUEST_CSUM, the
device can choose to save some work, thus generating packets carrying
VIRTIO_NET_HDR_F_NEEDS_CSUM. The new feature just keeping the device from saving
the work it's supposed to be doing. Of course, this will bring some
device calculating overhead, but if the device has sufficient calculating
resources, it can offer the new feature.

[1] âThe converse features are also available: a driver can save the
virtual device some work by negotiating these features. Note: For
example, a network packet transported between two guests on the same
system might not need checksumming at all, nor segmentation , if both
guests are amenable.â

Thanks.