Subject: RE: [virtio-comment] Re: [virtio] RE: [virtio-comment] proposal: use admin command (and aq) of the device to query config space

When a device grows incrementally and each functionality also,
grouping it per functionality gives better pace to keep things self-contained.

Think how messy a set command would be if all 3 functionality in one set command.

> For example, at the moment we actually do have a problem with cvq, and the
> problem is that it sets internal device state that is not observable (unlike original
> pre-1.0 config space which was writeable).

Which part is not observable?

> By the way there's a pci express ECN for relaxed ordering or something like this.
> I am yet to look at it, I wonder whether it can be used to avoid the issues we
> have with MMIO in a way that is easier to use than DMA.

Waiting to deliver new features on new PCI standard will drastically slow down virtio.
I don't think its good idea, but I would like to know about such ECN, if there is one.