[tallen@sonic.net:]

| Jon asked:
| | I find myself (oddly) without an opinion on this question of
| | whether the mail list for a discussion group that hasn't formed a
| | TC should be archived.  On the one hand, the hygienic qualities of
| | strong light; on the other, the ability of a group to discuss what
| | it wants to propose and how it wants to meet before proposing a
| | charter and a schedule to the whole world.  Comments?
|
| And I've been wondering how such a group is to run it's business:
| by Robert's?  Who are the voting members and what is a quorum?
| If there is considerable disagreement can some of the members
| decide to go ahead anyway?

Under Robert's, I think we're at the stage where the sponsors are
figuring out how to rent the hall; we're not yet at the magic
moment where the crowd is called to order.  Under the interim
process, the pre-TC list at this stage is run by the discussion
leader appointed by the board, and all the important decisions
(the wording of the charter and the meeting schedule) are up to
that person to make.  I was thinking that this was probably how it
would work in the long-term process as well, but that's to be
decided under issue CM 1, Creating committees.

The question here is whether the mailing list at this stage should
be public (i.e., visible beyond the rather large circle of OASIS
members and members/employees of OASIS member organizations).  I
think now that the answer should be No, just as it is (implicitly)
in Robert's -- a society that has not yet met for the first time
doesn't need to keep minutes.  I think that people who are just
kicking things around in advance of conducting business don't need
to make their deliberations public (remembering again that they
are still visible within OASIS).

Other opinions?

Jon