Jon Bosak wrote:

> | I would vote 2 ... the publicly visible
>
> Option 2 was "Archived but not visible outside of OASIS."
>
> I think I'm leaning now toward option 3, "Archived and publicly
> visible."  It's consistent with the rest of the process and a
> whole lot simpler.

The more I think about it the more I tend towards 1 -- it shouldn't
be archived.

This is the rationale behind what would appear to be a heretical stand:

a) a group of Oasis members get together and say "hey, wouldn't it be
cool if we had a TC for foo?" They may decide on the spot to propose
one, or they may spend months discussing among themselves what foo is
supposed to be. Should this be archived? No, how could it, this is
all informal discussions well beyond the pale of the process.

b) There may or may not be an Oasis-sanctioned preliminary meeting
of the people involved in (a); however, at some point,

c) one of the above Oasis members sends mail to actc or its
superceding authority and declares the intention of forming an
Oasis TC.

d) in due course, a mailing list is created; the main purpose
of which is to ensure
that those who subscribe to the list have an opportunity to
volunteer as TC (voting) members. Should this be archived? The
more I think about it the more I think not. The purpose of the
list at this point is non-technical; reviewing its archive would
not "enlighten" late-comers, and it should not. Once the TC
is started, technical discussion should start as if 'tabula
rasa', and all that has gone on before should be viewed as
irrelevant (in the sense that no decision arrived at before should
be seen as such). Having an archive of previous discussions would
seriously jeopardize this.

With flameproof gear in place,

Eduardo

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo@eng.Sun.COM
XML Technology Center          |         Phone:  (650) 786-5498