Subject: Required Meeting Attendance - Prospective Members

If I have correctly interpreted who wrote what, Eduardo wrote:

At 7:36 PM -0800 2/26/01, Eduardo Gutentag wrote:
>One of the points of prospective membership, if memory does not fail
>me, was to ensure that new members would not come to their first meeting
>not knowing what the hell was going on, among other things (the other
>main reason being to prevent stacking). That we have not put any attendance
>requirements in the bylaws strikes me as a bug.

I disagree, especially since we don't require chairs to allow
prospective members to attend those meetings.  We can't have it both
ways: requiring them to attend but allowing them to be excluded. I
think the current plan, which puts a significant time delay on
joining, is enough to prevent packing a committee for a vote (the
major thing we were trying to prevent), and allows people of good
will to catch up with a committee's process before becoming members.

There is nothing we could do that would force people to get up to
speed with the ongoing work; how many "active" members of various
groups do we all know who don't pay attention at meetings, don't read
the mail, and then object at length to something  - usually very late
in the game?  By-laws can't create good sense, or good will.

-- Tommie
B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@mulberrytech.com