Subject: Re: Formal notice from the chair to a member regarding attendance

Jon Bosak wrote:

> (I'm having a lot of trouble replying to the workprocess list, so
> this may not get through to everyone.)
>
> [eduardo.gutentag@eng.sun.com:]
>
> | "G. Ken Holman" wrote:
> | >
> | > Good morning, folks,
> | >
> | > Further to section 6.a of the TC process
> | > http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/workprocess/200007/msg00021.html is
> | > the "warned by mail" a private exchange with the member or a public post to
> | > the mail list?
> | >
> | > I suspect it is private, but I just wanted to make sure that it didn't have
> | > to be public in order to be formally recorded.
> |
> | I don't see how it can be formally recorded if it's not public.
>
> Article 14(f)(i) of the bylaws says:
>
>    A member shall be warned by mail from the chair of the TC upon
>    failure to attend two out of every three successive meetings of
>    the TC.  Membership shall be terminated if the member fails to
>    attend the next meeting following transmittal of the warning.
>
> I don't see anything in here about public notice.
>
> | > In a similar vein, do prospective members have to restart their prospective
> | > membership if they miss a meeting, or are they just similarly bound by the
> | > "not missing two out of three" rule?
> |
> | No, I think they have to participate in three successive meetings,
> | or in as many meetings as there are within 60 days from the first
> | 7 days after their "prospectiveness" begins:
> |
> | "Prospective membership begins seven days after the request to the
> | chair, and continues until the close of the third TC meeting or 60
> | days, whichever comes first."
>
> Article 14(e) of the bylaws says:
>
>  (e). TC Membership.
>
>       A PEOTCP shall become a prospective member of an existing TC
>       by sending by mail notice of intention to participate to the
>       chair of the TC.  Prospective membership shall begin seven
>       days after this notice is received.  A prospective member
>       may attend face-to-face meetings as an observer.  A
>       prospective member may attend phone meetings as an observer
>       at the discretion of the chair.
>
>       A prospective member of a TC shall become a voting member of
>       the TC immediately following the close of the third TC
>       meeting held during the period of prospective membership or
>       after 60 days have elapsed following formal application to
>       join the TC, whichever comes first.
>
>       The transference of an individual OASIS membership shall not
>       automatically confer TC membership upon the transferee.
>
> There's no requirement here that a prospective member attend *any*
> of the meetings (though of course it would be both intelligent and
> responsible to do so).

One of the points of prospective membership, if memory does not fail
me, was to ensure that new members would not come to their first meeting
not knowing what the hell was going on, among other things (the other
main reason being to prevent stacking). That we have not put any attendance
requirements in the bylaws strikes me as a bug.

Eduardo

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo@eng.Sun.COM
XML Technology Center          |         Phone:  (650) 786-5498