Subject: Issue - 11 Summary So Far

Diane has asked me, as champion of issue #11, to summarize a long thread
of email that has occurred on this issue so far.  Apologies if the
lateness of the summary forces postponement of this issue to a future
meeting.

The issue is related to language in section 14.3 which states that if
"[it] MUST select exactly one node. If [it] selects zero nodes or more
than one node during execution, then the standard fault
bpws:selectionFailure MUST be thrown by a compliant implementation."

The issue is that while the restriction is necessary to avoid
ambiguity, more powerful semantics are needed in order to manipulate
data in useful ways.  Two alternative proposals are currently under
discussion,
one put forward by Chris Keller, and one by myself.  Chris' alternative
involves the introduction of a few XPath functions to remedy the
situation.  My alternative introduces new elements to the <assign>
element.  I will present my own alternative, and leave it to Chris to
present his, as I'm afraid that I won't do it justice.

Also note that several other topics came up during this email thread.  My
personal feeling is that they should be treated as separate issues, and in
fact, some of them have been raised as such.  Since their very existence is
dependent on this issue being addressed, my preference is to defer their
discussion until we have agreed to move forward on this issue.

My proposal:  under the <assign> element, there will be 6 possible
elements, where now there is only 1.

<copy>
  <from/>
  <to/>
</copy>
as current.

<insertBefore>
  <from/>
  <to select="XPath Expression evaluates to one node"/>
</insertBefore>
creates a sibling before the select expression

<insertAfter>
  <from/>
  <to select="XPath Expression evaluates to one node"/>
</insertAfter>
creates a sibling after the select expression

<append>
  <from/>
  <to select="XPath Expression evaluates to one node" child="integer XPath
expression"? />
<append>
creates a child of select expression at the child-th position.  child
defaults to last().

<remove select="XPath expression evaluates to one node">
removes a node

<rename select="XPath expression evaluates to one node" newName="ncname"/>
renames a node

Danny van der Rijn