wsn message

Subject: Re: [wsn] Process for Issues

Sanjay

According to the process we adopted last week, the states are:

1. Open
2. Resolved - once the change has been made to an editor's draft, and has
been reviewed by a third party
3. Closed - once the resolution appears in a draft that has been approved
by a vote of the TC.

I agree that having a state somewhere between this state 1 and 2 (i.e.
approach agreed, but change not yet made/verified) is a good one. As you
point out, we did say that we would revisit the process, to reconcile it
with WS-RF. Since we have just formally adopted the process, then I think
that William and I will have to come back to the TC with a proposal to
amend it.

So in the meantime, I suggest you use the 4 states that you have, but call
your state 2, "Open-approach agreed". That way it is consistent with the
process charts we agreed (which I have now posted).

One other point. We also need a way of closing issues where the resolution
doesn't involve an update to the specs, e,g, if we decide to cancel an
issue, or supersede it with another. I'd be happy to list them as closed,
and for each closed issue to include a sentence giving
a) The approved spec level in which the resolution appeared, or
b) The reason for closure (Withdrawn on date xxx, replaced by issue yyy, or
whatever)

There were several that we managed to close in this manner last week.

Regards

Peter Niblett

             "Patil, Sanjay"
             <sanjay.patil@sap
                                       "'Vambenepe, William N'"
             03/08/2004 18:33          <vbp@hp.com>, Peter
                                       Niblett/UK/IBM@IBMGB
                                                                        cc
                                       wsn@lists.oasis-open.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [wsn] Process for Issues

Hi William, Peter,

During the F2F, we discussed a couple of times the process for managing
issues, specifically what the different states for the issues can be. We
currently lack a capability for our editors to search the Issues Document
for issues with a consensus on resolution and for which updates to the
specs are still pending.

On the second day, you had also mentioned about some offline discussion
between the chairs of WSN and WSRF TCs to synch up the issues process. I
was wondering if this offline meeting has taken place and what the outcome
was.

Meanwhile, I was thinking of updating the issues document using the
following states for issues. Please let me know if this sounds reasonable
or if I should wait until further discussion ...

1> Open -- after issue is submitted by a TC member and agreed by the TC
2> Resolved with Pending Action -- after the TC agrees for a resolution
3> Resolved with No Pending Action -- after editors have updated the specs
or any other necessary action has taken place
4> Closed -- after a public draft is voted by the TC

Thanks,
Sanjay