Subject: Re: [wsrf] resolving issue 72: clarification ofPutResourcePropertiesDocument operation semantics

Hi Igor:
Thanks for clarifying your position on PutRP doc.
My concerns remain about the vagueness of the semantics of this, and hence my continued concern about adding this MEP.  In particular,
>rule 1.B: the WS-Resource implementation is free to interpret the resource properties document contained in the Put request in any way it deems necessary for >the update to occur.

The freedom for an implementation to interpret the request in which ever way it seems best strikes me as a HUGE interoperability threat.  How is a requestor to figure out what the actual interpretation might be?  Further, given this is a MEP that potentially changes values in the WS-Resource, we must treat this MEP carefully, it might be difficult or impossible for the requestor to "undo" the results, if it later deems that the implementation interpreted the request in a "surprising" way.

sgg
++++++++
Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
STSM, IBM Software Group, Web services and SOA
Member, IBM Academy of Technology
<Soli Deo Gloria/>
++++++++

"Sedukhin, Igor S" <Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com>

01/06/2005 11:57 PM

<wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[wsrf] resolving issue 72: clarification of PutResourcePropertiesDocument operation semantics

Responding to my AI [(Igor) Put forward a proposal to resolve issue 72 - how this would be done with respect to the semantics issues etc.]

I suggest to define the following semantics for the PutResourcePropertiesDocument operation. The words are precise, so may not be easy to read. Let me know if this needs further clarifications or not.