xri message

Subject: TAG discussion of versioning in URIs

TAG has accepted for discussion the issue whether metadata should be part of URIs. They include versioning as a type of metadata.

As far as I can tell, the TAG believes that versioning (along with other metadata) should NOT be part of URIs.

See the issue summary here:

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#metadataInURI-31

And read Tim Berner-Lee's comments here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Nov/0187.html

I'm not sure there's been a lot of discussion (relative to a lot of other topics) about versioning, but there seems to be a consensus among those on the TAG that versioning of URIs is a nonstarter. I'm not sure that they've really explained the issue with versioning besides to say "its complicated". I happen to agree that the interpretation of versions can be complicated, but I am not sure if we are going to deal with that complication here or whether it becomes an application issue (for applications using versioned XRIs).

	-Gabe