xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 10-11AM PT Thursday 2008-06-05

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XRI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 05 June 2008 USA
Time:  10:00AM - 11:00PM Pacific Time

ATTENDING

Jamie Clark, OASIS
Markus Sabadello
Gabe Wachob
Peter Davis
Drummond Reed
Marty Schleiff
Nika Jones
John Bradley
Steve Churchill
Bill Barnhill

REGRETS

Nat Sakimura

GUESTS

Lon Wiese
Vince Caluori

AGENDA

1) TRANSITIONING CO-CHAIRS

Gabe shared that he has been planning for some time to transition his chair
duties after the vote. He asked TC members interested in serving as co-chair
role to contact Drummond. Drummond said he too is open to transitioning if
other TC members would like to step into the role.

2) WIKIPEDIA PAGE ON XRI

The neutrality of the XRI page on Wikipedia has been placed under dispute,
including specifically the licensing section. This has been correct by XRI
TC members several times in the past. See the Talk page at:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Extensible_Resource_Identifier

Jamie advised and TC members agreed this is best handled by OASIS staff
since they are the most neutral party and the most authortiative about OASIS
policies.

3) DISCUSSION OF NEXT STEPS FOLLOWING XRI 2.0 VOTE

We continued the discussion started on Monday's special telecon about the
next steps the TC should take following the vote. We considered the
following questions:

	a) How soon do we want to take the XRI specifications to another
vote?

The consensus was probably four to six months, considering the summer
period. However the sentiment was that we need to continue to gather
feedback RE the vote and the issues before ultimately deciding.

	b) What level of changes in the specs do we anticipate making first?

Nat made a series of suggestions in an email response to the agenda this
morning:

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200806/msg00013.html

Bill suggested that at a minumum we need to publish the use cases and
requirements that explain how XRIs provide value beyond URIs as requested by
several voters. Marty observed that TC members appear to be open to some
substantive changes. John said he's not sure any will be needed to address
the specific issues that David Orchard raised.

The general consensus was that there probably be substantive changes to
address some the issues that have been raised, but it will require more
analysis based on the additional discussions we will be having with voters
and other interested parties.

We did not have time on the call to consider the other three questions that
were originally on the agenda:

	c) What other companies or individuals do we want to get involved?
	d) What other adoption avenues do we want to pursue in that period?
	e) What non-normative materials do we want to produce in that
period?

However Nat's email, noted above, did contain a number of suggested answers.

4) OASIS COMMUNICATION ON XRI VOTE

At mid-month OASIS News will carry a short article on the results of the
vote. There was a consensus that the key points should be:

* A factual reporting of the results of both ballots.
* A report that a number of issues were raised about technical matters by
another standards body.
* A clear statement that the XRI TC members are actively continuing the
development of their work which is already in production in a number of
companies and communities and already incorporated into other open standards
work.
* A statement that the TC will be reaching out to voters and other
interested parties to fully understand their feedback and reconcile issues.

# JAMIE and DRUMMOND to work with Carol Geyer to prepare a draft for review
by the TC.

A public communication is also a possibility; we will discuss this further
over the next week.

5) XRI TC COMMUNICATION WITH OASIS VOTERS

There was consensus that we should communicate with all voters -- Yes and No
-- thanking them for taking part and making it clear what our next steps
will be. We will determine and assign this action item.

# DRUMMOND to coordinate this with Carol.

# LES, MARKUS, JOHN, MARTY to coordinate sending it to the voters they had
contacted.

6) NEXT STEPS WITH W3C TAG AND OTHER INTERESTED PARTIES

The XRI vote is on the agenda of the W3C TAG meeting either today or Friday
(their agenda lists both dates):

	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Jun/0026.html

There was discussion about whether OASIS in conjunction with the TC should
hold some kind of plenary about the issues that W3C TAG raises. There was
consensus that this would be a good step once we have done our own research
into understanding the TAG's objections as well as the views of voters who
commented publicly and privately. There was also consensus that we should do
this relatively soon so that we can be sure our next Committee Draft
addresses concerns raised by parties who attend the plenary.