bcm message

Subject: RE: [bcm] [Fwd: BCM Template & XSD for Strategic Plans?]

Hi,

Based on our meeting yesterday and the email Owen sent today, I offer
the following up to the group.

I believe we should be following the OMB Circular A-119 related to
consensus standards.  That brings up my reference to the work that was
done by the Business Rule Group (BRG) URL:www.businessrulegroup.org.
What is nice about their work is that you have a networked model of
concepts, business terms, and links/relationships related to motivation
(Zackman Architecture) that can be used at the concept level of the BCM.
If you take their work to the next level, you can use their
RFP#br/2003-06-03 titled "Business Semantics for Business Rules (BSBR).
The combination of these documents build off what the BCM is all about
from a business perspective.

These are the atomic part/pieces that can be used by business personnel
to construct their first cut schemas.  If I understood Owen correctly,
he is interested in moving strategic planning stuff out of PDF formats
into more re-usable XML containers.  The core terms, links, and math
models associated with the business rule work becomes the parts (atomic,
associations, and groupings) for assembly.  The BCM template, in my
opinion, is the mechanism (declarative) that is used "How does the
customer want to build & move the information" to assemble a strategic
plan.  That template is then turned into an XML schema that is used to
generate and enforce validation, if elected, for XML instance documents.
The concept terms from BRG are your building block (core components)
that are them constrained to a business process and result in
(ISO15000.5) constrained BIEs, ASBIE, etc. The template is the
blue-print for "how" the schema document is built, using the
infrastructure from BRG work.

The XML schema that Owen references in his email is a presentation/
representation schema, in my opinion.  It does not go to the core of the
business requirement.  What needs to be added, is the agreement between
partners to use the schema and parts list, the process that governs it,
and any mediation, (may be required if different standard approach
selected).  Remember, we are not homogeneous, but heterogeneous.  Thus,
the importance of loose coupling, mediation and agreements between
partners that we continue to down-play when we are dealing with exchange
and standards. We still are looking to the technical mechanisms for this
answer, but we should be looking in the agreements and declarative
mappings.
I would suggest that you look at their work, before we make a decision
to exclude the BRG stuff (reference:
(http://www.businessrulesgroup.org/brgactv.htm).

Just my two cents on Carl's email.

mike