bcm message

Subject: RE: [bcm] Groups - Intro to DITA for BCM/EPR Committees (Key E 2a Intro to DITA.ppt) uploaded

I am in violent agreement on DITA residing in the ebXML registry and
orchestrating the classic browse-n-drilldown path model as a means to
implement terminology interchange interfaces (services?) which are a
necessary but not sufficient requirement for semantic interoperability.  We
had a 5 hour meeting on Saturday on Naked Objects as an interface for EPR
folders.  It became clear that in an occasionally connected environment the
architectural metaphor we ended up with was "process caching" in the health
care ecosystem using XDS (Cross Enterprise Document Sharing).  The other
architectural metaphor we ended up with was the Naked Objects combined
runtime/design time metaphor from SMALLTALK.  Think of the Naked Objects
environment as a "babyUML" environment where the process model is
dynamically decorated by the end user using the OO paradigm in Naked
Objects.  This enables the team to change their process.  The demo I saw on
Saturday, showed Naked Objects changing the associations between objects and
then letting Hibernate flush the objects to the DBMS automagically with
little code.  So the bottom line here.  I think we need a similar
environment on the client side like the registry side.  The nasty thing
about digital bags is the replication and caching issues.  Pointing to the
DITA references in the registry means caching "just the right amount" of
DITA "stuff" in the Digital Bag and the "stuff" has an architectural model
of process => a sequence and hierarchy of DITA maps (not topic maps here).
The Naked Objects environment allows further specialization of the process
(sequence and hierarchy of DITA maps).  It seems to make sense to bring over
the DITA maps from the beginning.  The dynamic wizard is really Naked
Objects mapping (or decorating) the DITA maps information model.

The above is my thoughts as of today on the client side.  As I said earlier,
I am in violent agreement on the registry side.  My darkest fear, maybe we
should look at a slave registry as a fat bloatware client to make the
replication and process caching issues easiers.  Maybe "process caching" is
giving two year olds razor blades to play with. Dan's Second Law of Systems
Engineering:  Only after you have reached the point of no return, can you
discern whether the green on the other side of the fence is cactus or grass.
(Texas Humor).  With that thought, good bye!
Dan Pattyn