bdx message

Subject: RE: [bdx] SMP and CPP

Pim, Dale, Mike et al,

In addition to the CPP/SMP differences you mention, Pim, it seems to me there some more significant differences as regards security, trust and authentication mechanisms that are specified in CPP but not (I think) in SMP.  In broad terms at least, these seem to cover the business problems that I was pointing to as regards BDX support of current B2B identity and security practices.

There are a few remaining use case gaps I’m still seeing.  Is there a way of handling or profiling these within the existing standards?  I’d be very interested to hear from you whose technical expertise so vastly exceeds my own.  If so, that might allay Mike’s concerns about focus/scope creep, since we seem to be already headed down an SMP/CPP convergence path.

I realize now may not be the time to address this in detail.  However, deciding if these issues are within scope or not seems to me very material to the interoperability and ultimate value of BDX-defined mechanisms.

So, would it be possible to profile the following within the CPP/CPA framework?

1.       OAuth profiling within CPP/CPA for API access setup.  OAuth is increasingly prevalent as an authentication mechanism for API access. Providing such API access for an existing (supplier/partner) identity would be a relatively modest change for a network.  A particular network might or might not combine this with…

2.       OAuth/OpenID/OpenSocial/SAML profiling for new identity setup/handshake/token exchange.  These standards define handshake protocols for establishing a new identity on a target system.

An additional use case that might be out of scope (since it concerns business document collaboration rather than exchange) would be:

3.       OpenID/SAML profiling for Single Sign-On (SSO).  This concerns cases where a document sender might log on to a target system in cases such as (a) a submitted invoice is invalidated, but can be fixed via a web interface, rather than requiring resubmission from the source system, or (b) is rejected/disputed for business reasons.

Best regards,

Roger Bass