Subject: RE: [bt-spec] BTP Issue 50 : Default parameter values

BTP Issue 50 : Default parameter values

Submitter: Mark Little, HP
Category: technical
Submitter's identification: #18
Did we ever discuss default values for:

(i) reply requested [false]

(ii) response-requested [no default as far as I can tell, but I'd suggest true if sent before a PREPARE, and false otherwise.]

(iii) report hazard [false]

Do we not also need to be consistent on the names: hyphenated or not.

 A) there is no obvious reason why we have "reply-requested" for ENROL and the *_STATUS messages and "response-requested" for RESIGN. They should have the same name. "response-requested" seems more general, especially for *_STATUS which may generate all sorts of things.

B) we can't have a default that changes depending on what has been sent/received because RESIGN can cross with PREPARE - the RESIGN message would be sent with a default of true and arrive with a default of false.

C) it would seem nice to have the same default for the parameter whereever it was used. It's a bit of a toss-up, but false perhaps has the edge.

D) report hazard default of false is definitely a good thing.

E) All parameter names are supposed to hyphenated in the abstract messages and thus in the XML. They should indeed be made consistent.

I'd like to propose the solution:

change "reply-requested" to "response-requested" for all uses of the parameter

hyphenate all parameter names consistently

"reply-requested" has a default of "false" in all cases

"report-hazard" has a default of "false".

Peter

Peter Furniss
Technical Director, Choreology Ltd
web: http://www.choreology.com