Subject: RE: [bt-spec] BTP Issue 62 : Names of the relationships

Sazi sent

Peter,
I agree that a diagram showing the actor/roles relationships as well as control and outcome flow will be useful. However I have found the two diagrams, although possible according to the spec, not very common. For example a coordinator:composer relationship where coordinator is a superior cannot be too common.

A sub-composer (which is what that is) is certainly rather an odd beast - I sent some stuff on this last night on issue 69 (my thought was that something on that line should go in the document somewhere, at least at note status)

 I think, as far as Coordinator concerned the inferior is a participant and it does not know what else it is capable of doing.

absolutely.   but there is some utility in having a distinct name for a "leaf" in the tree, that doesn't act as anyone's superior, even if this fact is unknown to its own superior.  So 0.9 uses "participant" for that, and just Inferior for an anything, as viewed from the superior.

 Beside a terminator:composer relationship is very different then a possible coordinator:composer relationship...

Absolutely  - terminator:composer is the control relationship. A Terminator is a volatile, application-side entity - all it's messages are request/response pairs and it is always the requestor (so it's "client" to the Decider server, sort of). Coordinators and composers (of all subvarieties) are both persistent Superiors to some inferiors.

(the meaning of "Terminator" was modified slightly between 0.6 and 0.9. In 0.6, and the discussion in august on "volatile composer terminators", terminators were variously volatile application elements that requested confirmation of a transaction, persistent superiors that had logged the confirm decision and ordered the inferior, and might-have-been persistent superiors that turned out to have only one inferior so used REQUEST_CONFIRM to pass down a one-phase confirm semantic.  In 0.9 this was cleaned up - a Terminator is now always and only the application element that can REQUEST_CONFIRM of the top-of-the-tree (called a Decider as a term to cover both composers and coordinators that are not Inferior to anything). A persistent superior that orders its inferior to confirm is just a superior. In the special case of one-phase confirm where there is only one Inferior, the message was distinguished as ONE_PHASE_CONFIRM, which goes from the Superior to the Inferior.

 Do you think the coordinator will take a terminator role in this coordinator:composer (as superior:inferior) relationship?

 Not according to the current use of the word "terminator". The (sub)composer will send PREPARED to the coordinator, as inferior to superior, the coordinator then will send CONFIRM to the composer. What the composer then does with its own inferiors depends on application logic (see comment on issue 69 thread).

I have created a new diagram - modified one of yours - that I think shows the most possible relationships amongst the actors. It also shows the layered relationship where composer deals with coordinators and coordinator deals with participants only. In addition, I think there should be a link between the terminator and the coordinator (dashed lines in the diagram) so that in case there is no composer, the terminator can talk to coordinator (This could be another diagram too).

The diagram helps the discussion, thanks.  But it seems to use Participant effectively as a synonym for Inferior - what is the defining characteristic of "Participant" (it could be that it controls resources directly, not via further BTP branches, although it may have such (as superior) - that is a possible use, distinguishable from the one I've used, that it has no further BTP branches (and so would normal control resources directly)

But my diagrams were meant to show the relationships in a single static tree - the alternative possiblities at the top being shown by different diagrams. In any transaction tree there is at most one instance of the control relationship - everything below that is an Inferior to some Superior. If a coordinator has a superior, its Decider interface is switched off (at least as far as REQUEST_CONFIRM is concerned - some of the status commands might still apply)  (issue 30 is concerned about whether there it always has a Decider interface in the first place)

(the "at most" one instance of control is because the "terminator" might not be using the standard control operations, )

Peter

--Sazi