Subject: [bt-spec] Issue 50: Default parameter values

Dear Colleagues,

Issue 50: Default parameter values

Date added: 8 Nov 2001
Submitter: Mark Little, HP
Category: technical
Submitter's identification: #18
Did we ever discuss default values for:

(i) reply requested [false]

(ii) response-requested [no default as far as I can tell, but I'd suggest true if sent before a PREPARE, and false otherwise.]

(iii) report hazard [false]

Do we not also need to be consistent on the names: hyphenated or not.
Line: 1343, 1419

Peter wrote:
  A) there is no obvious reason why we have "reply-requested" for ENROL and the *_STATUS messages and "response-requested" for RESIGN. They should have the same name. "response-requested" seems more general, especially for *_STATUS which may generate all sorts of things.

B) we can't have a default that changes depending on what has been sent/received because RESIGN can cross with PREPARE - the RESIGN message would be sent with a default of true and arrive with a default of false.

C) it would seem nice to have the same default for the parameter wherever it was used. It's a bit of a toss-up, but false perhaps has the edge.

D) report hazard default of false is definitely a good thing.

E) All parameter names are supposed to hyphenated in the abstract messages and thus in the XML. They should indeed be made consistent.

Proposed solution::

change "reply-requested" to "response-requested" for all uses of the parameter

hyphenate all parameter names consistently

"reply-requested" has a default of "false" in all cases

"report-hazard" has a default of "false".

These changes to be carried out on the body of the text, abstract message definitions and the XML

Best Regards     Tony
A M Fletcher
Choreology Ltd., 13 Austin Friars, London EC2N 2JX     UK
Tel: +44 (0) 20 76701787         Mobile: +44 (0) 7801 948219
tony.fletcher@choreology.com     (Home: amfletcher@iee.org)