Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Questions

All,

See embedded comments:

Benoit Bezaire wrote on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 8:20 AM

Hi all,

  While reviewing chapter 5 of the latest spec, I came accross a few
  issues.  I wrote them down...

  a) Why are 'version' and 'filename' on the <webcgm> element
  #REQUIRED instead of #IMPLIED?

I don't completely remember but I think 'version' was not the CGM version, but the version of the WebCGM (file?) (spec?) (companion file?).  Help me remember.  I agree version could be #IMPLIED.  The "filename" could be #IMPLIED, I guess, but it's probably good practice for the user agent to always supply it.  It's the link between the companion data and the WebCGM file.  In my original architecture I had envisioned that the user agent application would issue a load XML companion file data which would point to the associated CGM file.  In later discussions with the vendors, I came to understand that the user agent issues separate commands to load the cgm and companion file (and later apply)?  Since there is a potential many-to-one relationship of companion files to a cgm file, there can't be a pointer from the cgm file to the companion data.  The filename in the companion file is the only link between them.

  b) In the DTD, the subpara element should allow for subparaAttEXT
  instead of paraAttEXT.

agreed...fixed

  c) Replace <!ELEMENT linkrui   EMPTY
  with <!ELEMENT linkuri   EMPTY

typo....fixed

  d) I think we agreed to add viewcontext and region to the WebCGM DTD,
  is that correct?  If that is right, we should modify the DTD.

I've added region and viewcontext to grobject, para, subpara, bindById, and bindByName.  region and viewcontext don't apply to layer, so some wording in the description of the bindBy's needs to include some exclusionary words about applying region and viewcontext to layer.  Right now, the attributes are CDATA.  I know we wanted something more specific, but NUMBER is not allowed in XML.  We could have more control over the content if they were elements instead of attributes, but we still couldn't specify that they be numbers.  XML Schema would allow some control on that.

I'll be supplying r2 of the DTD for publication in the next WebCGM 2.0 document

thx...Dave