Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] XCF and "inherit" value

At 10:00 AM 5/24/2005 +0200, =?us-ascii?Q?Dieter__Weidenbruck?= wrote:
>[...]
> > It seems to me that the parentNode attribute on a layer or a
> > top-level APS
> > would be the Picture, right?  So for the purposes of the
> > inheritance model
> > discussion, do we need to say that it is a "virtual APS" that has the
> > Initial Value of the ApsAttrs in question?  (And if "yes", then ... well
> > the Picture isn't the root yet, is it?  The Picture's parentNode
> > attribute
> > is the Metafile, right?  Same question there.)
> >
> > Thoughts?  How can we deal with this cleanly?
>the "root" should be the metafile IMO, and it needs to be treated as a
>virtual
>APS as far as visibility, interactivity, and style properties are concerned.

That's clean, and along the lines I was thinking.  I think a short
paragraph somewhere in 5.4 should take care of it, and it probably doesn't
need to appear anywhere else.

Btw, I reread 5.4 fairly carefully, hoping that it was already
covered.  But I don't think it is, quite.  At least not clearly and
unambiguously.  Values can inherit to and through nodes where they are not
applicable.  But it needs to be clarified that steps #1-3 in 5.4.1.1 should
be applied to the Picture and Metafile as if they were APSs, in order to
resolve the SV and the CV of the top-level APSs (layer, grobject, etc) in
the picture.

If we solve it in 5.4, the oddity about "inherit" value for 'layer' goes
away -- not a problem.