Subject: Re[4]: [cgmo-webcgm] WebCGM 2.0 XCF namespace question

Hi Mary,

Please see inline.

Monday, June 6, 2005, 9:34:44 AM, Mary wrote:

MM> Hi everyone,

MM>   There are two different issues here - one is an actual, resolvable
MM> URI that will result in accessing either the schema or a RDDL file. In
MM> this case, we must insist that such a URI be persistent and always
MM> access the same file.
Understood.

MM>  If, on the other hand, you want something that
MM> won't be resolved by the processing application, then
MM> www.cgmopen.org/webcgm would do the trick. We do not want years placed
MM> in the namespaces; I don't see any difference between a year and a
MM> version.
Are you not mixing up the XML namespace with the schema location?
Is there a rule stating that the XML namespace must be host to the
schema?
The XHTML namespace, http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml, doesn't point to a
schema or DTD? Neither does SVG, http://www.w3.org/2000/svg. Even the
XML 1.1 namespace is still, http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace.

BTW, the year (in the markup namespace, not schema location) is simply
referencing the year the first specification became a standard. Since
the XML namespace doesn't change for every update of the spec, having
the year in the XML namespace is not a problem.

MM>   It's fairly common practice that minor releases are
MM> backwards-compatible; major releases indicate that previous datasets
MM> will no longer validate against the new schema.
As I said, this thread was speaking to the XML namespace of the WebCGM
2.0 syntax, not the schema location.

MM> So if you set up the namespace as www.cgmopen.org/webcgm/v2 you
MM> could encompass the *latest version* of any 2.x release. When (if)
MM> a v3 is released, a new namespace would indicate that this version
MM> is not compatible with 2.x data and those applications would still
MM> access the 2.x version.
We understand that the schema location URI should be version aware.

MM> Hopefully that makes sense?
Let me split the question in two:

- Is there an OASIS convention regarding the form of an XML namespace
URI?

- Is there an OASIS convention regarding schema location of its
specification?

Kind regards,