Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: does the 'highlight' object behavior revert to full-picture view?

Hi Lofton,

see my comments inline.

Understood and agreed. In general navigation to a full view is always
possible by using the URL without any fragment, however, it is a good idea
to add a "full" keyword.

> ii.) The 'highlight' keyword is useless.  When a program or an
> XCF issues a
> 'highlight' behavior, it has no way of knowing what is the present
> view.  Another DOM or WebCGM or XCF transaction may have changed it.  Or
> the user may have panned/zoomed the picture with viewer controls.  It is
> unknowable, in general, whether the target to be highlighted is
> visible.  Therefore, no one would risk using 'highlight' (or
> 'highlight_all').  Only 'move_highlight' or 'zoom_highlight' have any
> usefulness.
It is not useless in my eyes, it becomes much more powerful now. So far,
users rarely used this keyword because of the unwanted navigation effects.
Combinations with navigation are well defined now, so highlight is reserved
for the cases where the implementor well knows what he is doing.

> Alternative 1.  no change, 'highlight' is a full-picture
> view.  (Editorially fix any contradictions.)
> Alternative 2.  Highlight does no navigation, leave the problems
> i. and ii.
> broken as described above.
> Alternative 3.  Highlight does no navigation, remove 'highlight' from
> table, add 'full', 'full_highlight', and 'full_highlight_all' to
> table (12
> rows in the table.)

Suggestion:
Add alternative 4:
Alternative 4. Highlight does no navigation, add 'full', 'full_highlight',
and 'full_highlight_all'.
NOTE: combinations like 'full_highlight_zoom" etc are not needed of course,
so it is 3 new entries.

I vote for 4.