Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] QUESTION: does XCF have any ordering rules for private metadata?

Hi Lofton,

I think this is correct as is. The sequence is unimportant if you parse the file, because the sequence in XCF does not reflect the sequence or tree structure in the CGM. Please refer to [1], where I gave an example for processing.

As far as nesting goes, app-specific metadata can appear as children of the WebCGM element as well as any of the standardized elements, except for linkuri.

Dieter

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/cgmo-webcgm/email/archives/200502/msg00040.html

From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 11:07 PM
To: cgmo-webcgm@lists.oasis-open.org

QUESTION:  does XCF have any ordering rules for application-specific metadata?

DISCUSSION:
I vaguely remember that we said at some time in the past, application-specific metadata elements must follow standardized elements.  That isn't reflected in the XCF anywhere.  At least I can't find it, if its there.

There are only two scenarios in XCF where any standardized children are allowed:

1.) webcgm can have any of the standardized children, grobject, layer, para, subpara, bindById, bindByName in any order;

2.) the only standardized child that any of these (except layer) can have is linkuri.

About #1 and metadata elements, the DTD says:
<!ELEMENT webcgm (
    layer | grobject | para | subpara |
    bindById | bindByName %webcgmEXT;)* )

About #2 and metadata elements, the DTD says for example:
<!ELEMENT grobject ( linkuri %grobjectEXT; )* >

So the spec says that application-specific metadata elements can mix with standardized elements, in any order.

I don't mean to raise a new issue about this, but I only want to clarify whether the spec accurately reflects past decisions or not.  Does anyone recall, and preferably have a pointer to, any past element ordering decisions?

RECOMMENDATION:  none (just seeking clarification).