Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] Action item completed, review of Model Profile column in Chapter 6

Rob,

Thanks for an excellent and thorough job -- this was a *big* task.  I'll
review and incorporate all of the changes, and look for any that are
substantive (change the meaning of the standard).  Unless there are some of
those (hopefully not), we probably don't need to deal with this mess in
teleconference.

A couple of comments are embedded...

At 05:51 PM 9/27/2005 -0600, Robert Orosz wrote:
>Lofton,
>
>This (lengthy, I'm afraid) report completes an Action Item that I undertook
>to review the Model profile column of the PPF for accuracy. For reference,
>this is the email where I raised the question about the accuracy of that
>column in the PPF.
>
>http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cgmo-webcgm/200508/msg00052.html
>
>In short, I found a mess. There are obsolete tables, tables with missing
>rows, etc. The good news is that I think it is a manageable mess. I don't
>believe that I've found any substantial problems beyond what we've already
>discussed. It's mostly a matter of getting the language updated to the
>current version of the Model profile. In some cases it is even simpler than
>that, I've also flagged some style differences, e.g. Bold Italic text in the
>original Model profile showing up as plain text, etc.
>
>First though, I have some comments relating to our HTML formatted version of
>the PPF.

Which actually came from ISO editors, as I recall.

>1) The deprecated bgcolor attribute is used on the TD element to generate
>the black color that marks the top of each row in the Model profile column
>of the PPF. Purists might object to this. If so, another style could be
>added to the local style element to handle this. I could not find a way to
>get Amaya to add the bgcolor attribute, and I had to edit the file by hand
>to add it where I needed it. The rest of the editing was done in Amaya, as
>explained below.

Okay, I'll look into it further during my editing.

>2) Some of the Model profile information in the current Model profile is in
>tables; i.e. a table inside the PPF cell. In the HTML version, this is free
>form and difficult to read, especially with proportional fonts. I've have
>made notes where this occurs, however, I don't know enough about HTML (i.e.
>if nested tables are allowed) to propose a solution.  In any case, I believe
>this only occurs where WebCGM 2.0 differs from the Model profile; i.e. users
>won't have to read the Model profile column to get the WebCGM 2.0
>requirements. We can probably leave this alone.

Okay.

>3) The current Model profile uses the ballot box with check (U+2611) and
>ballot box characters to indicate the Model profile requirement (Required,
>Permitted or Prohibited) and possible alternatives. In the HTML version,
>these characters are replaced with "Yes," and "No" respectively. I presume
>this was done so that the Latin-1 character set could be used in the HTML
>file.

Exactly.

>However, this initially caused me some confusion because my brain
>turned these into attributes with an implied and operator between them
>(because they are all listed). Consider this:
>ColourClass: Required Yes; Permitted No;
>Huh? How can something be required, and yet at the same time not permitted??
>I propose an additional explanatory paragraph in Section 6.1. You'll see it
>in the attachment.

Good idea, thanks.

>Finally, my report. I used Amaya to edit the HTML version of CD2. I marked
>my changes with the .editorial style. It doesn't show up as well as the
>.issue style, but there was already text that used the .issue style. I
>wanted to avoid confusion. I then converted the edited HTML into PDF, so
>that I could attach additional explanatory comments. In particular, there
>are summary notes at the beginning of each section.
>
>Disclaimer: Along the way, I noticed some mistakes in columns 1 and 2, and
>corrected them appropriately. However, my review focused on column 3, so I
>did not do a comprehensive review of columns 1 and 2. There will be places
>where text in column 2 needs to be updated to match the updated Model
>profile text in column 3.

I'll keep my eyes open for col.1, col.2 changes as I integrate yours.

Thanks again,