Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] Ideas about issue CL-c10

Thanks Benoit.

I have a couple of questions.  First, the simple/trivial ones...

what is a pane?
what is a tab?

I.e., are there standards-based definitions of these?  I know 'tab' from
Geko-based browsers (NN7 and Firefox).  I searched W3C site for 'pane', and
quick-look didn't give reveal any standardized thingy.  I ask because I
assume that we would want to limit any WebCGM list of such target thingies
to standard-defined ones?  And not suggest mandatory support of
browser-dependent ones (i.e., if we add language like "This attribute
specifies the name or portion of the target window, frame, pane, tab, or
other relevant presentation context.")

More substantive questions...

That aside, as we discussed in telecon, in 1999 even <object> was an
afterthought, introduced by Chris.  It doesn't surprise me that we don't
give it the same treatment as windows and frames.  So the interesting
questions are:

1.) What level of support, as suggested by Chris, according to Benoit's
analysis?  Support linking to an <object>?  Example:

someHTMLdoc.html contains:
<object id="someObjectElement" data="someInitialCGM.cgm" ..../>

CGM someOtherCGM.cgm contains (conceptually) something like:

1a.)
BegAps id="someApsId";
ApsAttr type="linkuri" URI="someHTMLdoc.html#someObjectElement"
linkTitle="" behavior="_replace";

or

1b.)
BegAps id="someApsId";
ApsAttr type="linkuri" URI="someHTMLdoc.html" linkTitle=""
behavior="someObjectElement";

Is this the sort of generalization that we're looking at?  (Implementors,
who could support this in the near future, if it were generalized?)

2.)  would WebCGM 2.0 want to intentionally limit itself to some *subset*
of the standardized set:  window, frame, object, iframe?  (Accepting for
now that the current limitation, excluding object, is accidental and
unintended.)  Imposing a limitation would need some specific requirements
to back it, as Chris, SVG, and CDF seem to frown on such limitations.

3.) what changes would we need to make to the document?  Does it need to
say anything more than SVG did?  Do we need to look at the applicability of
the keywords _replace, _self, _parent, _top, _blank, <frame-target> to the
target object type?  (For example, _replace is only defined for C-to-C
links -- should it be other than _self for a C-to-H <object> link? )  I'm
unclear what would happen with the whole behavior table in 3.1.2.2.

http://www.w3.org/Submission/2006/SUBM-WebCGM20-20060313/WebCGM20-IC.html#webcgm_3_1_2_2