Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Text of Regex

I'll comment on Dieter's questions...

At 01:59 AM 3/5/2008 -0500, Weidenbrueck, Dieter wrote:
>Stuart and all,
>
>you suggest for 2.7:
>
>There is no mechanism to load the entire DOM tree by use of a "*" and
>there is no built in functionality to retrieve nodes based on the
>results of a regular expression applied to an attribute.  An example on
>how to do this is described in Appendix F.
>
>Does that mean that a compliant viewer becomes uncompliant if it
>provides such functionality?
>Will there be a test for the lack of a "*" functionality?
>I am unsure whether we should describe in a spec the functionality that
>is NOT there unless it is normative, e.g.
>...a compliant implementation MUST NOT allow for usage of "*"... or
>similar.
>
>Comments?

The answer is apparently here in the 2.0 conformance clause:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/webcgm/v2.0/OS/WebCGM20-Conf.html#webcgm_conformance_extensibility

It was a topic of discussion and solicited input.  As I recall, there was
very little opinion or feedback.  (But W3C spec QA rules required that the
topic be addressed.)

The specific case in point -- modifying the functionality of existing
interfaces, per your last sentence -- seems like it ought to be non-conformant.

Then there is a fuzzy zone, including things like providing a library of
utility functions to support common operations.  (Like regex search.)  We
seem to be taking the approach with 2.1 that that is a *good* thing.