Subject: re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] draft text- CGM gzip compression

Rob,

>  Don,

>  Just to be clear, it is only the binary encoded form of CGM that can be
>  compressed to CGZ format, right?

Technically, it could either binary or clear text; but that should be clarified.

>  I am curious as to how much compression can be achieved with different types >  of CGMs; i.e. vector elements only, raster elements only, mixed, etc.  Have
>  you (or anyone else in the group) done any investigations on this?

I have run some tests and found that I could get 35 to 85 percent
compression.

These CGMs were a mixture of vector and raster CGMs from both oil-field
type and technical illustrations. I got the best compression on some very
large oil-field cgm files that were comprised 80-90% vector data.

I've attached the spreadsheet with the results of my testing fyi.

Don.