Subject: re: [cgmo-webcgm] ACTION: preliminary test designs

Don, All --

Thanks for getting your draft out in good time before the session.  Since I
can't make the discussion call, I'll throw out a few thoughts for discussion.

These comments and thoughts apply to your item #1, "fontMap element test".

1.) Firstly, item #1 is written as if it is to be a single test.  I think
that there's too much going on for one test, at least if it is a
non-interactive, static test.  Perhaps you were thinking of a test with an
HTML frame that drives several subtests?

2.) In any case, I favor breaking things down into pieces that each have a
more "atomic" purpose, and that progress from simple/basic to more
advanced.  So your #1 really becomes a group of tests (like #2).  The group
could either be separately named tests (they are essentially static), or it
could be an HTML harness that drives several subtests.

I.e., the first test would aim for the most simple capabilities, without
any tricks.  Then subsequent tests look at more complicated variations.  So
for example, I would first do the simple test of the pgphs 3-4 of #1 -- no
normalizations or any other tricks required.  Then test the defaultFont
element, in a separate test.

3.) That said, I think there should be at least a couple more tests in the
group.  I don't want the tests to be too stressful, but there are some
things like normalization that everyone really needs to converge on.

3a.) forceSubstitution parameter
3b.) name normalization rules (for input CGM names and for CSS name-lists)
3c.) at least some of the 5 generic font names (e.g., serif, san-serif,
cursive,...)
3d.) the priority ordered list in the substitution list.

As I said, these shouldn't be stressful or designed to be tricky, but
should just test whether the feature has basically been implemented or
not.  These seem to me to round out the major features that need to work if
this stuff is going to be any use at all.

Thoughts?

Btw, there is an issue lurking behind 3d.  If you read CSS, then the list
is applied **per glyph** (see the hyperlink in Ch.9).  I.e., for each
glyph, the first font in the list that has that glyph is used.  As CSS
explains it, that is a major use case of the prioritized list.  I don't
think that is our primary use case in WebCGM, and I purposely didn't raise
the issue yet (it will come up in due time).

I'll try to get back to defaultAttributes after tomorrow.  And for today's
other late test-description arrivals ... later also.

-Lofton.