Subject: Re: [chairs] At long last, filenaming rules document

David RR Webber - XML ebusiness wrote:
> Eve,
>
> Looks good.
>
> Question -extdesc
>
> Can I use that for a date label?
>
> i.e.  CAM-spec-1_0-draft-090-021003.doc

You can if you want.  I suppose that, if there's a revision number
present anyway, there's no harm in adding a date if you want to (though
it's definitely not my preference and it seems redundant with the
revision number there).  Should I add this as an example, or leave it as
an exercise for the reader?  Or do people think I should add advice
*against* doing it?

> tcid-description-version-draft-revision[-extdesc].ext
>
> Question - should we be using '.' in name,
> as in -1.0-draft?
>
> Some systems use that to denote end of name,
> beginning of extension.
>
> Maybe '_' instead?

Ah yes, I was wondering about this.  I still resist putting multiple
periods in filenames, although I haven't had a technical problem with it
in many, many years.  What do others think?  FWIW, in UBL, we use "p" to
stand for "point", like 0p70 for "version zero point seventy".

> DW.
>
> p.s. Who's idea was all this anyway?  I feel like
> an inmate at the assylum - discussing the
> colour to paint the walls ; -)

It started with a request back in November about how to uniquely
identify OASIS documents in bibliographic references, and grew like
kudzu!  Everyone seemed to want some firm guidelines, so we went with
it. :-)

	Eve

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com