Subject: RE: [chairs] Info for chair setup of Kavi TC areas

Hi Karl - I've been working on the SSTC items as you requested.  I have some issues and suggestions. Please let me know if I've just missed something that takes care of any of these...

Issues:

1.    I'm a bit concerned about Kavi performance.  I'm hitting the thing here at midnight EST and it ain't exactly speedy for doing these management operations.  It can't be due to system load.  I'm almost positive it's not a network bandwidth issue as I'm not having any general browsing issues to other sites.

2.    The pointers to our charter, etc. do not show up as hyperlinks.  I checked a couple other TC's and found the same problem.

3.    No role has the ability to modify group notes and charter info (or any other aspect of the TC home page).  I don't remember whether this was covered in the training, but this seems pretty restrictive.  Will this restriction remain? When we got a preview in Baltimore, I thought we were shown a feature that would let us do some formatting of our pages.  I understand the desire to make all TC home pages look similar, but it seems we now have almost no control over what info is presented on our main page.  How will we get notes, announcements, etc. added?  It seems REALLY inconvenient to have to put important TC info into a document and put it in the repository or create a dummy "event" to get something displayed.

Here's some wishlist items:

1.    Actually, I *really* don't like having to click on a link for a PDF file just to see the charter.  Can't we get inline text for this?

2.    On the Charter and Chairs page, it would be nice to be able to list other important TC member roles (e.g. secretary, etc). Can't this content be under our control?

3.    When managing rosters:

a.    I would find it quite convenient to be able to do a search for anyone that is a "voting member".  It lets me search on a specific role or on some name/email string, but I can't directly find who can vote.  I can find all members in each role and then sort each of those pages on the "voting member" column, but that's a pain.

b.    I noticed that it is possible to set an "observer" to "voting member" status.  Do TC rules permit this?  Shouldn't this be explicitly prohibited to prevent data entry/modification errors?

c.    During the training, I asked about being able to track members on Leave of Absence.  It was suggested to just move them to an observer role and move them back to member when they return.  This may become tedious and error prone.  And since OASIS has rules about membership status and LOA, it seems the system intended to help us manage membership should support that as well.  It seems we won't be able to get away from using our current TC membership spreadsheet since we make an entry when someone goes on LOA with the date that they left and when they'll return.

d.    I also don't recall whether the system will manage the transition from prospective member to voting member.  Will it?  If not, we also have to still track that manually with our spreadsheet as well.

e.    It would be VERY nice if the system remembered more "preferences".  For example, I prefer to always view the full roster. But every time I make a roster modification it reverts to the paginated view and I have to re-click the "All" link.

4.    On pages that let you make edits and submit the changes, a nice usability feature is to put a SUBMIT button on both the TOP and the bottom of the section being edited.  It speeds up data updates when the item you changed was near the top of the list.  Otherwise you edit the item and then have to scroll to the bottom to submit the changes.

That's enough for tonight...

Rob Philpott

RSA Security Inc.

The Most Trusted Name in e-Security