Subject: RE: [chairs] need your comments on DocMgmt system requirements

I ask that before we go too far down the path of selecting XML that we
identify (reasonably priced) editors/conversion utilities that can handle
large documents. The UDDI spec for example is 411 pages long (123K words /
901K characters including white spaces); it's been a challenge to use HTML
editors and thus one of the reasons for sticking to MSWord for document
editing and use of its native (though somewhat unsatisfactory) HTML
conversion capability -- aside from the obvious need to have a means of
supporting the TC's document revision needs.

I believe that we should not consider selecting a document format (other
than HTML and/or PDF for which there is ample support) until we've
identified our list of requirements (e.g. large document and revision
support) and evaluated tooling (editors and/or conversion utils) to support
these.

I'd certainly like the opportunity to try out recommended XML editors/utils
before we convince ourselves of using or mandating XML for OASIS specs.

Luc

-----Original Message-----
From: Drummond Reed [mailto:drummond.reed@cordance.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 16:17
To: 'Rex Brooks'; karl.best@oasis-open.org; 'Chairs OASIS'
Cc: 'lomas >> Jeff Lomas'

+1. I think it's a foregone conclusion there's no way to get consensus
across all OASIS users on an editor. But if there were an open-standard
interface/XML interchange format, and a reasonable variety of editors that
did (or could be made to) support it, that should work.

After all, this is an e-business collaboration standard we're discussing
here ;-)

=Drummond