Subject: Re: [chairs] need your comments on DocMgmt system requirements

I think that leaving the choice up to the TC is not a bad thing to do.
There's pros and cons for the various options: MSWord has some compare
and change bar functionality that is useful, and it sounds like using a
text-based format would allow various CVS functionality such as change
control to be used. And given that OASIS is an open standards
organization we really should be promoting the use of open standards in
our document formats.

Our current policy has been to provide templates in the various formats
that will produce similar-looking documents. Maybe that's not a bad
thing to continue doing. We should allow the TC to choose based on what
works best for them, but encourage the use of open standards. (Just my
personal opinion -- I don't set the policies.)

-Karl

Luc Clément wrote:
> I ask that before we go too far down the path of selecting XML that we
> identify (reasonably priced) editors/conversion utilities that can handle
> large documents. The UDDI spec for example is 411 pages long (123K words /
> 901K characters including white spaces); it's been a challenge to use HTML
> editors and thus one of the reasons for sticking to MSWord for document
> editing and use of its native (though somewhat unsatisfactory) HTML
> conversion capability -- aside from the obvious need to have a means of
> supporting the TC's document revision needs.
>
> I believe that we should not consider selecting a document format (other
> than HTML and/or PDF for which there is ample support) until we've
> identified our list of requirements (e.g. large document and revision
> support) and evaluated tooling (editors and/or conversion utils) to support
> these.
>
> I'd certainly like the opportunity to try out recommended XML editors/utils
> before we convince ourselves of using or mandating XML for OASIS specs.
>
> Luc

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org