Subject: Re: [chairs] need your comments on DocMgmt system requirements

I have been trying to use OpenOffice for all of my documents.

Its internal document format uses XML.

It has so far handled every Word document I have tried, except for one
key item:  line numbering.

Version 1.1 simply does not number the same way that Word does
(something about how headers and footers are numbered across pages, etc.).

This has been the only show stopper for me, since conference call
discussions tend to refer to line numbers.

OTOH, beta versions have improved on this, though I would not recommend
using a beta.

--

John DeCarlo, The MITRE Corporation, My Views Are My Own