Subject: RE: [chairs] OASIS IRC

This is a *great* step forward. I strongly encourage folks to use
realtime communications channels like IRC on a regular basis.

Several questions:

1) Why start a new IRC server/network? Freenode in particular is
*well-suited* to the uses described here and already has a number of
open standards efforts occuring there.

2) I'd strongly suggest providing logging bot for channels that want it.
Real time chat is great in the sense that it promotes highly efficient
back and forth, but suffers in that the record of discussion is often
lost. Logging bots address this issue well by copying a complete log of
channel traffic to a web archive. In addition, there are other types of
bots (e.g. a chumpbot that logs URLs and comments to those URLs and
meeting bots that allow a form of order in a big room that has an agenda
and a meeting leader, etc).

3) Provide a way for folks like myself, who are isolated from IRC due to
http proxies, a way to access IRC. There are several methods - I
personally use CGI:IRC (cgiirc.sourceforge.net) - a web-based (no client
applet - all javascript and HTML) IRC interface. Strongly recommended.

Once again, with the recent wiki support and now IRC support, OASIS is
taking a big step forward and I wholeheartedly encourage more
experimentation in this direction.

	-Gabe