Subject: Re: [chairs] report on grumblings from some TCs

     Good morning Rex.
     If the concern is that we're not getting public reviews launched fast
enough once a TC has formally requested it, we agree.  That is why we put
some specific response-time and service-level commitments into place
earlier this month.  See
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200602/msg00001.html.
     We also changed our rules last year to increase the technical
requirements associated with specs -- things such as compliance with
templates and the provision of final prints for review in some specified
file formats -- see, for example,
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#2.18.   Frankly, the
number of submissions that came in 'ready for review' without meeting those
requirements increased.  In which case some amount of feedback and
correction must occur.  (While most of these form requirements in the rules
technically apply to all committee specs at any level, as a practical
matter the staff often only sees and filters them for the first time when
they're proposed for public review.)  It's my guess that the degree of
delay caused by noncompliance will decrease with time.
     However, none of that takes away from the need for predictable
turn-around time.  In the case of public review submissions that is posting
or rejection within 5 business days of receipt to the address
[tc-admin@oasis-open.org].   The first priority for my colleague Mary
McRae's time is to execute on those turn-around times, as described in more
detail is included in that 7 February message linked above.
     We also asked in that message for comments on those deadlines,  and
they're still welcome.  One early one is that many users would prefer
'calendar day' instead of 'business day' deadlines.  We plan to make that
change once we've spooled a few more comments.  Most of those SLA deadlines
are procedural service commitments from staff, not enacted rules, so we can
adjust them in response to early feedback.
     Thanks for your feedback.  Regards  Jamie

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org