Subject: Re: [chairs] Draft ASIS under review: mandatory policy? Please review and comment by 1 March

/ James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org> was heard to say:
| TC leadership:
>
|     Please take a careful look at the current member review draft of
| the "OASIS Standard Artifact Identification Scheme (ASIS)" at [1], and
| ask your editors and other interested TC members to do the same.  Our
| Board of Directors plans to consider in March whether to make it, or
| portions of it, mandatory policy after the current review is completed.

Has that fact been communicated to the membership at large? The message
sent to the members mailing list[1] says:

  While this document is written as a set of requirements, the use of
  this document is recommended and not mandated. After this second
  General Membership review in February 2006, we expect that the OASIS
  Technical Advisory Board will approve a future version as a
  contribution to ongoing OASIS policy discussions.

Nothing in that paragraph gave me the impression that it was going to
become mandatory as soon as March.

Procedurally and practically, if the comment period closes on 1 Mar,
how will the comments be reviewed, incorporated, and republished
quickly enough for the board to consider them *in March*?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200602/msg00007.html

PGP signature