Subject: RE: [chairs] Spam comments

Filter with spamassassin perhaps?

-----Original Message-----
From: Norman Walsh [mailto:ndw@nwalsh.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 12:41 PM
To: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [chairs] Spam comments

Recently, I've noticed an increase in the amount of spam coming through
the OASIS comment form:

  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/form.php?wg_abbrev=xxx

Is anything being done to address this problem? Could comments be
subjected to moderation by staff or at least to some form of
CAPTCHA[*] to limit bot-driven spam?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

* I have some resevations about CAPTCHAs as they tend to discriminate
against users with certain kinds of disabilities, but surely this is a
problem that's been addressed. Asking commenters to answer a simple
math question (like the sum of two randomly generated single digit
numbers) would probably be sufficient, at least in the short term, to
address the problem.

--
Norman Walsh
XML Standards Architect