Subject: RE: [chairs] Spam comments

Norm,

+++1

These messages are also explicitly designed to enhance the senders Google search rankings - so they are systematic and deliberate.

We need to remove them from the archives as well.

We should not be offering easy support for these people - and I totally agree with immediate action to frustrate what they are currently doing.

I'm getting up to 20+ messages daily - being on comment lists and seeing 1 or 2 occurrences of these automated postings.

 : -(

DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [chairs] Spam comments
From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Thu, June 29, 2006 12:40 pm
To: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org

Recently, I've noticed an increase in the amount of spam coming through
the OASIS comment form:

 http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/form.php?wg_abbrev=xxx

Is anything being done to address this problem? Could comments be
subjected to moderation by staff or at least to some form of
CAPTCHA[*] to limit bot-driven spam?

                                       Be seeing you,
                                         norm

* I have some resevations about CAPTCHAs as they tend to discriminate
against users with certain kinds of disabilities, but surely this is a
problem that's been addressed. Asking commenters to answer a simple
math question (like the sum of two randomly generated single digit
numbers) would probably be sufficient, at least in the short term, to
address the problem.

--
Norman Walsh
XML Standards Architect