Subject: Re: [chairs] Spam comments

/ "Matt MacKenzie" <mattm@adobe.com> was heard to say:
| Filter with spamassassin perhaps?

Oh, I filter nearly 100% of them out of existence on my machine (thank
you, DSPAM). In fact, I hadn't noticed how systemic the problem was
because most of them were invisible to me. It was only a few that
recently slipped through that caused me to investigate.

When I saw this:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wss-comment/200606/threads.html

and this:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/entity-resolution-comment/200606/threads.html

I was appalled.

1. It makes the archives a lot less useful (bordering on useless)[*]
2. It really looks unprofessional.
3. It must annoy the heck out of users with less sophisticated filtering,
   which can't be good for OASIS' reputation.
4. We're giving Google karma to these vermin and we shouldn't be.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

* Even legitimate comments suffer from this defect because they all
have the utterly useless subject "Public Comment" and pointless return
address, but that's a different issue.

--
Norman Walsh
XML Standards Architect